Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I had a Post Office Mail Clerk open confidential mail from

Customer Question

I had a Post Office Mail Clerk open confidential mail from the Employment Development Department that was addressed to me in my presence without my consent. The same Clerk has the confidential mail that was opened. Note no Federal or State Court order was granted to Employment Development Department to the Post Office Clerk to open my mail and the State Agency (no special permission was given to the Post Office Clerk I filed a complaint with the U.S. Inspector General's Office and I feel as if I am being given the run around by the Officials when it comes to me obtaining a written report from their Office regarding their findings. Can I sue the Post Office in Federal Court or California Superior Court Civil Division?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: This incident occurred in the State of California. I meant to state earlier: Note no Federal or State Court order was granted to the Employment Development Department to allow the Post Office Clerk to open my mail and the State Agency (E.D.D.) nor the Post Office Clerk had special permission from the U.S. Postmaster General to allow the Post Office Clerk to open my mail.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No not yet.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Yes upon receipt of information the Post Office Clerk who opened up my mail is a relative of one of the Employment Development Department Officials I am suing in a civil matter in my lawsuit against the Employment Development Department.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only
Why would the post office clerk open your mail and also why won't the clerk turn it over to you?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am not sure what the Post Office Clerk's motives were. It is my belief that she is trying assist her relative that I am suing in her legal affairs. I can tell you that I been a customer at the Post Office for 4 years and I never had a problem before with the Mail Clerk until I filed a lawsuit against her relative in May 2016. In May 2016 I had the same Post Office Clerk hold on to some information addressed to me from the Employment Development Department for two months straight when she placed a 15 day notice in my mail box that information would be sent back to the Employment Development Department as unclaimed. When I confronted the Post Office Clerk about the matter on 07/01/16 the Post Office Clerk told a lie to me by giving me some bizarre story that I was not eligible to receive the information she had received in May 2016 because I had not paid my post office renewal fees. Yet my post office box rental fees were paid up to 06/30/16 and I paid my renewal fees for the time period of 07/01/16 to 12/30/16 on 07/01/16. I have all of my documentation to show this.As far as the clerk not turning over the document to me that she opened on 07/11/16...when I confronted the Post Office Clerk about this infraction and requested to speak with her supervisor, the Post Office Clerk told me that her supervisor was not available to speak with me. The Post Office Clerk also stated to me that I would need to file my complaint concerning her opening my mail at a different Post Office in Fresno, California. I was frustrated with the Post Office Clerk behavior and the Post Office video camera footage shows that I left the letter the Post Office Clerk illicitly opened on her counter top at her workstation.
Thank you for your reply.
Your first step is you need to contact the US Postal Inspector and file a criminal complaint against her for tampering with the US Mail.
Second, you can sue her and the post office for the theft/conversion of your mail and the damages you have been caused by her doing so. It is a crime to tamper with the mail and as such this is grounds for you to sue the government/post office and get your damages.
Thank you for reviewing the answer.
Did you have further questions or would you like additional information? If so please use REPLY.