ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Can a doctor subpoena an insurance company for copies of

Customer Question

Can a doctor subpoena an insurance company for copies of canceled checks sent to same doctors tax id number?
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Yes, but understand what that means... A subpoena is a court order that someone or something that's not a party to the legal action at hand (a company, for example) turn over documents and/or present himself/herself or an agent for questioning in a deposition. Note that I said "not a party". That means that a lawsuit has to be filed in the first place, and the subpoena for documents has to be relevant to the underlying litigation. They can't just subpoena a document that is unrelated to the litigation. So it's not like they can just write up a document and call it a "subpoena". They have to have a lawsuit in place, validly request the subpoena and serve it on the party that has to product the documents, and it has to be relevant. Furthermore, it has to overcome potential objections, primarily relevance, but also privilege if it's attorney/client or doctor/patient privilege.

So it's certainly possible that the doctor can subpoena this, but it's not as easy as simply sending a document.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!