Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I've lived in a co op with my mother for 25 years. They

Customer Question

I've lived in a co op with my mother for 25 years. They asked me to fill out an application and considered me as a subletter since she was away. They denied my application because my bf didnt sign as an occupant. They never called me to tell me or set up a meeting with me. I had brought in a dog, i considered a therapy dog. They threatened to sue us. They have been creating a hostile environment, so much so that I am now on medication. What can I do?
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New york
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Just consulted
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I feel discriminated against since there are other families living in the building withouht having the co op owner residing in the apt. One of the board members told my mother "yea but they have kids" as to which my mother replied, so do I.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a letter from my therapist saying how the dog was helping me with my treatment.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The co op billed us for the letters their lawyer sent us
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post. I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Could you explain a little more?

Where is your mother in all of these?

Has she filed complaint with the Board?

Are you stating that you are being discriminated against because you do not have kids?

Kindly explain

Thank you for your cooperation,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My mother was living upstate in albany, and was undergoing chemo treatment. They said they would terminate her proprietary lease, that she was in default. Am being discriminated against because I brought the dog, I have been trying to work with the co op board. But they have been creating a hostile environment. I filled out the application because they conaidered me a subletter. I gave it to the super who then had the audacity to take all my private info to my boyfriends job, to relay the message I had to mail it. The super has my number and could have slipped it under my door.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My mother was on the board but stepped down last month.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My mother has been gone for a year. She owns the co-op free and clear. There are other families living in the building who are owners of co ops who have not used it as there primary residence for 10+ years
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What can I do???

Thank you for the information.

I am sorry, but I am unable to assist you. So, I will opt out and let another Attorney to further assist you.