Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

I live in Colorado and work for Company X. Company X is

Customer Question

I live in Colorado and work for Company X. Company X is interested in buying an Over/Under Shotgun for Company Y to be gifted to Company Y's skeet shooting team or to a specific employee of Company Y. Company Y is located in Avon Minnesota. My method of transaction/transportation of this shotgun would be to purchase from an FFL in Colorado with a company credit card under my name. I would then declare the shotgun (locked in a case) on an airplane as checked luggage. I would fly on this airplane to Minnesota and hand-deliver the shotgun to said specific employee of Company Y. What legal aspects should I be aware of and how should it effect or change my proposed methods?
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 3 months ago.

My suggestion would be to order it in Minnesota and have it delivered. You do not want to be caught at any point with a gun that yoi do not own or that you do not have a license for.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have owned several firearms and am unfamiliar with every having to have a "license" for them in the state of Colorado.

True but here you are taking it to another state. I do not believe you intend to register them in your name.

I did some research about Minnesota law and there are restrictions on possession of certain types of guns. http://gun.laws.com/state-gun-laws/minnesota-gun-laws

I always advise a client to take the most cautious approach.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
this gun would be a break barrel 2 shot only shotgun for skeet shooting (target/competition) or pheasant hunting (sporting). I would pass the background check here in Colorado and purchase the shotgun under my name. I spoke with the police department and they told me I would not be breaking any laws to simply gift the shotgun over to an individual. If I wanted to, I could draft a letter detailing the exchange and sign it along with the person I am gifting it to but that wouldn't be necessary to be compliant with the law - it would only provide a paper trail. Does this all jive?

That does make perfect sense but Minnesota allows for hunting type guns only be carried in areas designated for such so that is a potential issue. And going through the airport their security may overreact not knowing the situation or the applicable laws.