Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

Is online poker illegal in New Hampshire? I. Talked with the

Customer Question

Is online poker illegal in New Hampshire? I. Talked with the attorney general who said it is illegal because it's not included in the gambling statutes that are listed. Can one actually be charged for it? I also spoke with the ethics office at my work before I knew it was illegal as many sites say otherwise. I'm FINRA licensed and work for a conservative firm and have to report any arrests, etc. I asked them simply if I had to report if I bought Bitcoin. When I thought online poker was legal, I stated that I was trying to deposit money into an online poker account but that even though it's legal in nh the banks aren't allowed to approve it because they're funding foreign accounts. Could I actually get in trouble for playing online poker. I never actually stated on the recorded line that I was playing online poker.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 months ago.

This is Samuel. There is no specific clause in the New Hampshire Revised Statutes dealing with online poker. It is not specifically made illegal for New Hampshire residents to play poker over the internet, but they cannot legally operate an online poker business. So in other words, you can play online poker without worry of being arrested or charged. But if you run the poker game from NH then you can be charged and arrested.

Here is a LINK to the NH laws regarding gambling

Expert:  Sam replied 2 months ago.

IT states in part:

647:2 Gambling. –
I. A person is guilty of a misdemeanor if such person knowingly and unlawfully:
(a) Permits gambling in any place under the person's control.
(b) Gambles, or loans money or any thing of value for the purpose of aiding another to gamble.
(c) Possesses a gambling machine.

Expert:  Sam replied 2 months ago.

So unless computers are somehow deemed to be "gambling machines" via changes in the legislature, I suggest NH has yet to fully define the illegality of online poker.

Expert:  Sam replied 2 months ago.

And so, I suggest, it would be a stretch to charge online poker playing. It happens everyday by a multitude of persons in NH and elsewhere. Generally when there is a crack down it is on the proprietor of the service and not its participants.

Expert:  Sam replied 2 months ago.

If I've missed anything that you needed or you have other questions, please let me know here. Otherwise, a Positive rating ensures I get credit for my time.