Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

Male Contractor abandoned the job before it was complete to

Customer Question

Male Contractor abandoned the job before it was complete to go build hotels in Atlanta, Georgia and his wife, a decorator said she'd finish the job with her workers. She hasn't, they have not come back and she wants her money now, before it's complete. I do not like her aggressive tactics. The work is not done and what was done is not to my liking.
The Insurance Company has me sending my money to my Mortgage Company. They will give me my money when it is complete. The Contractor signed a paper saying he wouldn't ask for money from me but wait till the Mortgage Company inspects it. And she has constantly threatened to walk off the job with the workers if I don't pay. I've already given her $19,000 and will not give her another penny until it's done. And, I don't really want to work with her anymore.
If I allow the inspector to approve the work this morning and get me my money, do I have to pay the contractor anything else? I'd rather hire someone new. And, if I endorse the check without his signature, is that ok? The mortgage company told me to just get the money and pay all the other workers and deal with the completion later.
Thanks. The inspector is arriving in 15 minutes
Expert:  LawTalk replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and given your sever time constraint, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a personal phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Let me know if you don't want a call and I will be happy continue here with an answer for you.

Either way, whether I call you or not, in order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What do you mean when you write: The Insurance Company has me sending my money to my Mortgage Company?

2. Is the mortgage company c0oming over to inspect the work done so they can release insurance money for payment to the contractor?

Thanks in advance,

Doug