Nishan Parlakian
Nishan Parlakian,
Experience:  Principal at Consumer Law Office of Nishan Parlakian, Esq.

I live in Maryland. Someone in Ohio owes me money. How do I

Customer Question

I live in Maryland. Someone in Ohio owes me money. How do I file a small claim suit in Ohio without flying to Ohio and going to the courthouse ?
Expert:  Nishan Parlakian replied 2 months ago.

Hello George, sorry for the trouble you are having. Let me ask you did the transaction occur in Maryland or Ohio? If in Maryland yo might be able to sue under "the long arm statute". This would allow you to obtain jurisdiction over the individual in your locale. It is difficult to invoke though for small claims issues involving an individual. Usually on a debt owed by a person you do have to sue locally. It sounds like it is not worth hiring an attorney who could file the papers for you. Another way to begin the lawsuit is to determine if you can get the filing papers from the court and start the process by mail. Some courts allow this. You would still need to show up for the court date. However, you can hire an attorney per diem to appear for you for about $150. Try contacting attorneys on demand. They might have a solution for you that does not require a large amount of money on your end. Let me know what you think and if I can answer any other follow up questions. Sean