LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

FROM ORTHOPEDIC OFFICE (TEST AND OFFICE VISITS AND RUN FREE)

Customer Question

IF A PATIENT HAS A BILL AND REFUSES TO MAKE PAYMENTS DOES HE/SHE HAVE A RIGHT TO HIS/HER CHART, WHEN IN FACT SERVICES WERE RENDERED AND THERE IS NO
BANKRUPTCY ACTIVE. CAN WE HOLD INFO UNTIL PAYMENT IS MADE?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. NO, the doctor can not withhold the medical records. You have an absolute right to them. Put your request in writing. Pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/8-2001 (e) a “health care facility must disclose the requested information within thirty days of the receipt of the written request.” Although physicians have the right to charge for the copying and mailing of medical records, they cannot refuse to forward them to another physician until an account is paid in full. In fact, you cannot withhold them until the copying fee is paid. You can bill them, and in the extreme, even send them to collections, but you cannot refuse to release the medical records to the patient or his or her other physician. Medical practices have up to 30 days in which to release records following a request. The request should be in writing, but it can be verbal.

Have they made a request or has another doctor done the same?

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!