Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I was one of four victims of a head on collision. I was on

Customer Question

I was one of four victims of a head on collision. I was on vacation in PA, though I am a Florida resident. Both cars were totaled and all six occupants of the two vehicles were taken to the hospital by ambulance. I was the only one in our car who did not lose conciousness. I was standing by the car when a female officer approached me and started demanding information for all of us (name, address, phone numbers), but didn't request any insurance information. While at the hospital, a separate officer interviewed me about what had happened. During the course of the interview, he asked me about my handgun, which they found in a cloth pouch in my glove box while looking for insurance papers. The gun is legal to carry in the car without a permit in Florida, but not Pennsylvania. They have charged me with a 3rd degree misdemeanor. While I was on the phone with the police a few weeks later, they admitted that they were still waiting on a search warrant for the other driver's car. I am not understanding why he caused the accident, why did they search my car without probable cause and not his? Also, my insurance papers were not in the glove box yet they continued to search the car until they found them. They didn't, however, search the entire car as they would have been able to do under probable cause had the gun been found legally. I have spoken with several lawyers who say this is a "gray area". Please help!
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist? Also, I just want to remind you that the experts on this website can't guarantee that you will "like" the law or the information we provide, all I can say is that it will be accurate and thorough. Some clients get upset when an expert gives them information that isn't in their favor, but the rating system is really designed to grade our interaction, my professionalism, etc. and not whether the law was in your favor or not since we have no control over that.