Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Two parties purchased an auto ... titled it using "or" ...

Customer Question

Two parties purchased an auto ... titled it using "or" ... after several yrs of joint ownership ... Party A titles/registers the auto in A's name only without Part B's consent. Does Party B have any legal right to regain joint ownership or to receive half the value of the auto at the time ownership was changed?
Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

Hello

This is Samuel. I am sorry to hear of this matter. If the title says NAME OR NAME then either one can sell the vehicle without the signature of of the other. I suggest, that if the other party feels they are entitled to a portion of the purchase price, consider filing a small claims lawsuit. If in fact, the non selling party has been contributing to the car payments and/or other maintenance, that could be a basis to sue for a share of the proceeds from the sale.

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

You can file a small claims lawsuit on your own, without the help of a local attorney by getting the forms from the clerk of the court in the county where the defendant lives.

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

I suggest, you might first want to make a demand request, in writing, to the other party. Mail that demand certified mail with a return receipt requested. And in the demand state what you want as your share, that if not paid within 7 days from receipt of the letter you will be suing.

Expert:  Sam replied 3 months ago.

If I've missed anything that you needed or you have other questions, please let me know here. Otherwise, a Positive rating ensures I get credit for my time.