Nishan Parlakian
Nishan Parlakian,
Experience:  Principal at Consumer Law Office of Nishan Parlakian, Esq.

The paragraph below is in my employment contract.... The

Customer Question

the paragraph below is in my employment contract....
The employee accepts employment with the employer for a period of one year beginning 9/23/13. This agreement shall continue for additional one year terms unless either party shall give the other written notice of cancellation ninety days prior to the end of the then current term, time being of the essence to both parties.
How much notice am I required to give for resignation?
Expert:  Nishan Parlakian replied 2 months ago.

Hello, on it's face, strictly construing the contract, you would be required to give 90 days notice prior to 9/23/13. The time is of the essence clause means that they are depending and require the dates of resignation to followed. That said, depending on what you do and the skill set they rely on from you, and without seeing all of the contract, firms generally do not want to hold on to individuals that no longer want to work fore them. Again not knowing more, the contract could have other implications such as non compete clauses that make the contract date important to them. Rather than simply picking an arbitrary date, if it were me, I would speak with them and advise them of your need to leave. Good luck Sean