Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

Over 40 years ago I was convicted of a drug charge in

Customer Question

Over 40 years ago I was convicted of a drug charge in federal court (Youth Corrections Act). I was placed on probation for three years. I was discharged or released from probation after 2 years upon graduating from college. I have never had an incident with law before or after that. I have been employed in the Commercial Insurance business for about 40 years and with my current employer for 28+ years.
The company is now requiring all employees have licenses. I have had a brokers license since 1989 for the state I reside but they want me to get a license in all 50 states.
Some states as Florida and Texas require a fingerprint and complete criminal history check as a licensing requirement.
My questions are:
- how far do the states look regarding criminal history?
- Would my record come up? Would the state just reject my application or will they report their findings to my employer?
- Very nervous as I am approaching retirement and could lose everything that I have worked for over 40 years.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Was the question about criminal convictions on your current state's license application?