Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Denied Social Security Retirement When I retired from State

Customer Question

Denied Social Security Retirement
When I retired from State of California, I applied for a replacement social security card which I need for employment. They treated it as an original application and said that I had to prove citizenship. I wrote them and said that I wanted a replacement and not a new card. No reply. This was prior to 9/11.
I then used my Passport for employment. I then misplaced the passport.
Later I applied for Social Security. Most,but not all of State Service was exempt from Social Security and I had credits prior and after. (Note: I had misplaced the second passport by then).
I was formally denied twice and once in a formal telephone interview and in other phone calls with the local office. They said I needn't a current document which put me in a Catch 22 situation. I couldn't get a new passport because I didn't have a current one!!!
I contacted the Embassy in Munich for proof of birth abroad and was told that they would get back to me. They didn't.
My father was born in Louisiana as his family has been there for at least 300 years.
I was born on an U.S. Army base in Germany.
I have received 2 passports, one as child sitting on my mother's lap I do have the one I misplaced which I received when I was 39.
I do have father's original baptism certificate fro three days after he was born. (Louisiana did not have a state registry when he was born.) I was told that this was not sufficient.
In all honesty, I think the real problem is with my real name: Joachim Raoul Chretien Jr.
Joachim is a common name in Europe and especially Germany. The last name appears in Alsace-Lorraine.
Genealogy.com shows my father and his father as being born in Louisiana.
Denied Social Security Retirement
Denied Social Security Retirement
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What is your question for us regarding this matter? Have you requested a birth certificate from the US Department of State, which records all births to military members abroad? You need to pursue that first to get your birth certificate and then you can file again with SSA and if they refuse to reissue the replacement card, then you can file an appeal to get the hearing officer to order the replacement. You need to get your original birth certificate or true copy first then you can proceed.