Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989
18321761

What is the legal age to consent state Indiana? Teen on

Customer Question

What is the legal age to consent state Indiana? Teen on medication for mental illness. Consent to strip search from school.
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

The age of consent in Indiana is 16. This teenager could consent unless her disabilty is so extreme that her consent cannot be given.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

What about legal age to consent to medication. Or refuse medication

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

How old is the teenager? If the minor is under 18 he or she cannot refuse medication. If he or she is involuntarily committed, even if he/she is an adult he cannot refuse medication in Indiana.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

14 at the time. I was wondering. Can a 14 give consent to call strip search with out a parent consent. At school

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Yes. A school has the authority to interrogate and seach a student without parental consent, and a student does not need parental consent to consent to a strip search. That said, a strip search is highly intrusive, and the search may have been unlawful on other grounds, depending upon what the school was looking for and other facts and circumstances.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Is there a website link that I can read what is lawful or unlawful

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

The US Supreme Court ruled on school strip searches back in 2009. You can see that case here. Determinations of whether a school search is unconstituional is made on a case by case basis.

Numerous cases in Indiana have addressed the issue since the Supreme Court's decision since 2009. You can go through them all here.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.