Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I believe my phone was tapped into for several months by the

Customer Question

I believe my phone was tapped into for several months by the law enforcement. How can I find out if they received a court order to do so?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, unless you are charged with an offense, there is no way to find out if such a wire tap was ordered. These orders are filed under seal, meaning they are not part of the public record unless the individual is charged or the case goes to court. If the case in which the recordings were made never results in any court case, then the matter remains sealed. So, unless there are charges against you or someone else in the matter, there is nothing you can find out about the matter.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
there is no way to find out if you were put on a Targeted Individual List?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
for how long can each court order last for wiretapping?
Thank you for your reply.
While many people think there is such thing as a "targeted individual list," the only "list" would be if they have a criminal investigation going and again unless charges result from the investigation the information is sealed.
A court order can be issued for wiretapping for as long as the law enforcement officials who applied for the warrant have probable cause for the warrant to continue, but they are issued in 30 day increments.