CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.

How do I file a claim in Small Claims Court? I live in

Customer Question

How do I file a claim in Small Claims Court?
I live in Auburn, Washington
The party I wish to sue resides in Des Moines, Washington (20 miles to the north)
The King County Washington Regional Justice Center is in Kent, Washington 10 mi. north.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn of this frustration.

There are a few resources that should assist you in walking you through the small claims process.

The first, and most helpful, is the "small claims packet" from the King County Courts - it has the filing information, the court forms, and helpful information on the procedure for your small claims case. See:

Once you get your case filed, have a process server serve the defendant for you - they will not only serve the defendant but also return the proof of service to the court for you (the King County Bar Association ( can give you referrals, or you can find them online).

Additional small claims information can be found here:

King County Law Library Online (also has a wealth of information at the physical library located at the King County Courthouse):

And general information on King County's Small Claims site:

Less helpful, but a good overview of the process, is the Washington State Court's small claims link which should provide you both an overview of the process and fill in any gaps in information that the King County links above do not provide: (again, this site is set up in a "step by step" fashion to walk you through the procedure).