LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

My wife and I are trying hard to avoid bankruptcy. We have

Customer Question

My wife and I are trying hard to avoid bankruptcy. We have engaged a "debt settlement" company to help, but very hard to get them to pay attention to us and we have no control of how they are spending our money. We are now in receipt of a summons to appear in court over one of our debts that the settlement company did not put on our account, despite our request to do so and now it is too late to add, we have only 10 days left to respond to the summons, or a judgement will happen..what advice would you give in this matter?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. Did they explain to you why they failed to include this? Did they say why it is too late for this to be added? What exactly are they doing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Despite having emailed and faxed debt info and used their computer dashboard to add and delete, several accounts are still not on the dashboard, and the ones we wanted deleted are still on there too. I finally got through to their office on Friday and they said that it was too late to add this account and that we should call a lawyer...
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We only have 10 days left to respond to the summons or a judgement will be levied..

Thank you for the additional information. It sounds like this debt settlement company is playing games and you may want to speak with them and get more detail, as to what they will actually do. If you advised them of this and told them to include it and handle it, they should have done so. It does not make sense that they can not add this but it could be a result of a case being filed against you, which they do not think they can handle now, because there is pending litigation. Since you were served, you do need to file a response and answer the complaint. You can admit or deny the allegations in the complaint and raise any defenses which you may have, to the cause of action. In addition, you can try and go to mediation and settle this, seeing if they would accept less then what is owed, in satisfaction of the debt. Moreover, if they are now telling you to get an attorney and they are not attorneys, you may want to look into exactly who the people are at this company that are handling your case and their experience, if any.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!