LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

At 10:06 am I called to book a room in Ocean

Customer Question

at 10:06 am I called to book a room in Ocean City Md. They sent me my confirmation at 10:20 am and then the hotel Princess Royale sent me a confirmation at 10:26 am and that check in wasn't until 4pm. So we drove to Ocean City from Wilmington, Delaware a***** We had lunch went to the beach and my grandson vomited on himself so we wanted to see if the hotel would check us in earlier because of this incident. When we got to the hotel went to the front desk and gave the person my name she said the room isn't ready until 4pm so I told her about my grandson she told me I could wash him up in the back. Once I got done with that I went back to the front desk and spoke with a different person and she told me the room was ready and asked for my card and information when I gave it to her she started to charge for a 6 night stay over 1800. but thank God I didn't have that in my account.. I told her my reservation was only for 1 night stay which should have been 379.00. She then told me my reservation was cancelled because they didn't have any rooms. That is when I looked at my email and received the cancellation email exactly an hour after I booked it at 11:19am and seeing it was 3pm all rooms in Ocean City were booked matter of fact all rooms within a 60 mile radius was booked. Not only am I pissed right about now because I felt they gave my room up to someone who was staying more than 1 night but it shouldn't matter a reservation is a reservation. Is there anything legally I can do?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. This is certainly a nightmare to have to deal with. Have you had a chance to first go back and look at the disclaimers or policies on or from the hotel? I ask because I am just curious to know if it says anything about room reservations or something of that nature and that until check in, they may not be honored, using a 3rd party system like you did? It is also very odd that the hotel confirmed this but who sent you the email at 11:19am, saying it was cancelled?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1st Email:::::::From: "*****@******.***" <*****@******.***>
Date: August 13, 2016 at 10:20:46 AM EDT
To: "*****@******.***" <*****@******.***>
Subject: Confirmed Reservation Notification Confirmation Number =***********Thank you for choosing! Your reservation has been confirmed.2nd email:::::::From: "Princess Royale Oceanfront Resort" <*****@******.***>
Date: August 13, 2016 at 10:26:11 AM EDT
Subject: Princess Royale Oceanfront Resort - Reservation R1015919 - GAIL THOMAS3rd Email:::::::From:***@******.***
Date: August 13, 2016 at 11:19:15 AM EDT
Subject: Reservation Cancellation

Thank you. In a situation like this, an argument could be made regarding reliance on the first email, confirming the room and you acting upon that and taking steps, to get to your destination. Once a party receives a room reservation, it would be implied that a room is being held for them. Now, even though they send an email an hour later, it does not necessarily mean that this would be viewed and noticed, so if they failed to call you over the phone and you left and headed towards your destination, you could have a claim against them for damages suffered/costs incurred, as a result. Ideally, I would think that their cooperate offices would want to correct the situation and at least offer you a free night or two but if they do nothing to settle and resolve this, you may want to considering trying to sue them for the damages suffered, in reliance of their hotel confirmation.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The Princess Royale Oceanfront Family Resort & Condominiums is one of the premier 100% smoke free Ocean City Maryland hotels. Our hotel is the largest all suite resort offering the ultimate in accommodations.Property Amenities Include:
• Four-story Oceanfront Glass Atrium
• Olympic Sized Heated Indoor Pool
• Sundeck with Hot Tubs
• Free Health Club on Premises
• Free Whirlpool and Saunas
• Live Entertainment (in season)
• Convenience Store
• Gift Shop
• 17 Golf Courses Nearby
• Free Covered Parking
• Complimentary HBO & Disney
• Complimentary Wireless Internet
• Valet Parking (July and August only)
• Creative Day Spa
• Visit for services and salon reservationsThe Princess Royale caters to a variety of tastes with a bountiful selection of the finest restaurants and lounges on the beach!Dining options include:
• Schooners Oceanfront Restaurant & Lounge (year round)
• Breakfast Buffet (based on availability)
• Award Winning "All-You-Care-To-Eat Seafood and Prime Rib Buffet" (July & August)
• Pizza, Etc. (in season)
• In-Suite Dining (in season)
• Atrium Bar (in season)
• Cafe On The Green (in season)
• The Gazebo Bar (in season)
• The Food Court(in season)
• O.C.'s only live Comedy Show (nightly, except Sundays in July & August)
Important Links Visit our Website Make a new ReservationPrincess Royale Oceanfront Resort
91st Street Oceanfront, Ocean City, Maryland, 21842, 1-800-4-ROYALENOTICE TO ALL GUESTS - PLEASE READ VERY CAREFULLY
1. CANCELLATION POLICY: If notice of date changes or cancellations is not received prior to the date of arrival, as indicated below, your full deposit will be forfeited. A cancellation number MUST also be obtained in order to receive a refund (inclement weather is not a valid reason for refund). PLEASE NOTE: WE STRICTLY ADHERE TO THESE POLICIES, NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.
A) 72 hours notice or longer for group reservations (10 or more rooms) booked with our group sales office only.
B) 7 days notice for transient (standard) reservations;
C) 14 days notices for golf reservations;
D) 30 days notice when reserving a condo for any type of reservation listed in A, B, or C, for July & August reservations in our 2 & 3 bedroom condo rentals.
NOTE: There is a $100.00 cancellation fee in July and August for 2 & 3 bedroom condos and a $25.00 processing fee for suites and condos other than July and August regardless of when the reservation is cancelled . Reservations may be changed or canceled by calling 1-800-4ROYALE.2. CHECK-IN/CHECK-OUT POLICY: Check-in after 4:00 p.m. Check-out before 11:00 a.m. Any check out after 11:00 a.m. will result in additional charges. Rooms ARE NOT guaranteed until after 4:00pm so please plan your arrival and departure accordingly. Changing rooms are available and you are welcome to park and use the facilities.3. DEPOSIT POLICY: If your deposit cannot be charged to the credit card provided, reservation is subject to automatic cancellation. A deposit is required in order to guarantee reservation. DEPOSITS ON MULTIPLE RESERVATIONS WILL NOT BE CREDITED, TRANSFERRED OR REVERSED. Your credit card will be billed upon receipt of reservation as follows.4. PAYMENT POLICY: One night's payment, plus tax, IN ADVANCE at the time of reservation is required. Two & Three bedroom condo rentals July and August require one night's payment, plus tax, as a deposit at the time of reservation and the full balance is due 30 days prior to arrival. NO PERSONAL CHECKS OR MONEY ORDERS. Credit cards used to guarantee the reservations are charged at the time the reservation is made for the required deposit. Balance due upon arrival for suites. FOR SECURITY REASONS GUESTS MUST PRESENT CREDIT CARD USED FOR ADVANCE DEPOSIT UPON CHECK-IN. IMPORTANT: WHEN YOU PRESENT A DEBIT OR CREDIT CARD UPON ARRIVAL THE ACCOUNT IS IMMEDIATELY PROCESSED FOR THE BALANCE DUE AS WELL AS $50.00 PER DAY FOR INCIDENTALS WHICH ALLOWS CHARGING PRIVILEGES IN THE HOTEL OUTLETS AS WELL AS OUR SECURITY FOR ANY DAMAGES AND/OR ADDITIONAL CLEANING. THIS IS ONLY AN AUTHORIZATION (NOT AN ACTUAL CHARGE) BUT DOES DEDUCT FROM YOUR AVAILABLE BALANCE SO PLEASE PLAN ACCORDINGLY. DEPENDING ON YOUR INDIVIDUAL BANK, ANY UNUSED AUTHORIZED AMOUNT WILL BE RELEASED AND REFLECT BACK AS PART OF YOUR AVAILABLE BALANCE WITHIN A FEW BUSINESS DAYS AFTER DEPARTURE.5. In the event you do not stay the full number of nights reserved, there will be NO REFUND and you will be billed for the full stay you have reserved unless changes were made at least 7 days prior. PLEASE NOTE WE STRICTLY ADHERE TO THESE POLICIES; NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE.6. All suites are equipped with an electronic safe for your convenience and there is an AUTOMATIC charge of $1.50 per day regardless of use.7. Pac-n-Play rental - $15.00 per day plus tax, Cot rental - $15.00 per day plus tax based on availability.8. When more than two people over 12 years of age occupy

Thank you. I responded above.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how do I go about suing them then

First, you may want to try a demand letter. Advise them of what you seek/want to recover and see if they respond. If they refuse, then you can retain legal counsel and go after them, for the costs incurred and damages suffered, as a result of what they did and in reliance on them confirming the hotel.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is the email I sent them before I contacted you.Dear Princess Royale,I’m very disappointed in the way you conduct your business.On Saturday, August 13th, 2016 I called and made an reservation at 10:20:46 am I don’t care if it was a 3rd party reservation because you sent me a confirmation from your establishment at 10:26:11 am confirming my reservations and we came all the way from Wilmington Delaware. Then at 11:19:15 am my reservations were cancelled by you. Seeing the confirmation came from your establishment I assumed I was guaranteed a room and the check in was at 4:00 pm.Well we went and enjoyed the beach with my grandchildren and then my grandson happened to get sick and needed to be cleaned up at this time it was around 3 pm so we decided to see if we could get into the room earlier because of his accident. And when I got to the front desk and gave my name she informed me that check in wasn’t until 4:00 pm. I explained everything to her and she informed me that I could clean him up in the restroom so that is what I did. After I got done with that I went back to the front desk to see if there was anything you could do to get me into the room earlier. This lady asked for my information and started to check me in for 6 nights I informed her my reservation was only for 1 night then she informed me that it was cancelled and that the rooms were booked the day before. If the rooms were booked the day before then tell me why I received your confirmation at exactly 10:26:11am? By this time it is 4:00 pm not only am I tired and pissed off because of this but my sister who is a nurse had been up since 3:00am and all she wanted to do was sleep. We couldn’t locate another room anywhere in Ocean City or anywhere near there for that matter. We ended up going back home and my 6 year old granddaughter was so upset not to mention everyone else for that matter.No matter if I book 1 night, 2 nights or entire week I should have been treated the same as anyone else I’m still a paying customer. We would not have driven all that way if we didn’t have a place to stay for the night. Once I got the confirmation I didn’t have a need to look at my email again until I got to the hotel and they informed me that my reservations were cancelled. I will be calling a lawyer about this because this was really unprofessional how this all went down.Thank You,Gail Hope Thomas
Billing Manager I
West Deptford National Payment Center
T: (###) ###-####C:(###) ###-####E:***@******.***
FIS | Empowering the Financial World

The only thing you may want to do is follow it up with 1) the time in which they have to respond ( i.e. 10 business days) and 2) the amount of damages suffered/costs incurred, to make you whole.

Have you calculated damages at this time?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Gas 46
Food 89
Supplies 30
Hotel 379 <<<We actually didn't spend this but that was the per night charge
Reservation cost 22.99 <<<They refunded me this amount
Legal Advise 58
Should I put more than 1 nights stay?

You could only be awarded actual damages. As such, gas, food, supplies, mileage, etc, could be demanded. However, if you were never charged a fee and/or cost and you received a refund, you could not ask for it, since you got that back. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be certainly happy to reply. If not, please just remember to rate my help at the top, so the site will give me credit for my answer and time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you are saying I can't get a free night or more stay for my trouble?

No, not at all. I am saying you can demand and ask for it but as far as monetary recovery, it has to be for actual damages. You can not ask to be give the value for the stay, so if anything, they may consider giving you a credit for it

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!