Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I have been married to a European for less than one year. He

Customer Question

I have been married to a European for less than one year. He brought, with my knowledge, 14,000 Brotish Pounds of debt into the marriage which I have tried to persuade him to let me pay off for us as it is accruing at over 20 percent and will continue to double until it gets out of control.
My spouse claims that by law the debt will be excused after seven years and that since I did not create the debt, that he can continue to ignore it (an English Barclays credit card) and neither of us will be megatively affected. My tax accountant says that his credit will be negatively affected and, since we plan to file a joint return this year, that will make us both liable for the debt or, if the debt is terminated by the bank, even though it does not operate in the US, we could still be charged for the amount of the debt as income.
As a partial justification for for my spouse's attitude he was advise by a US banker that the English banking system is completely separate from the US system and that they cannot seek recourse or even information in a situation like this for a provisional green card recipient who never qualified for the card in the first place as he had no income.
What do you advise we do?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

It is important that I inform you that I cannot provide you with any type of legal advice or legal service or tell you what to do or not to do in your specific case, as such legal advice / legal service can only be provided by your local attorney, upon a full review of your entire situation. This service is limited to legal professionals, such as myself, providing customers with general answers to customer's legal question. Do you understand above terms, agree with the above terms and would like me to proceed with my general answer ? (please only answer "Yes" or "No").

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would like the full written response I paid for. I upgraded my authorization for a telephone conversation but now would settle for either version. If I am continually "gamed" by your system I plan to take appropriate action. Please advise yes or no whether you plan to answer my question and if not why not.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would like an answer to the question I paid for.