Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.

Had a mechanics lien put on my property, totally erroneous!

Customer Question

Had a mechanics lien put on my property, totally erroneous! Have paid $2500 and now the attorney wants more money. This poor excuse for a contractor can say what ever he wants and is not obligated to PROVE ANYTHING!!! I have to put out money like this before I can even get before a judge. There is nothing right about this ridiculous claim!!
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pa.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes of course and have paid him $2500, now he wants $1000 for a deposition
JA: What advice did they give you? Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: It was explained to us that the contractor was operating with an unregistered fictious name. That it would thrown out and dropped. Then we are told that the judge wants to let it go forward. Now the lawyer wants another $1000 for a deposition
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 2 months ago.

I cannot tell from your information if you are you speaking about the lawyer that you have hired to represent you, or a lawyer representing the contractor. If it is your lawyer, then how much you pay him is entirely up to you. Lawsuits get very expensive, even when you're completely right, and should of nothing to the other party. I don't know how much time your lawyer has spent on the case thus far, so I cannot comment on the amount being charged. Apparently, the case is more difficult than you and your lawyer thought it would be. You are entitled to seek a second opinion about your case from another lawyer, and that is what I think would help you the most.
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.
Please rate the answer so I may receive credit. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks for your understanding and for using JUST ANSWER.