Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I just launched a organic skin care line; and its a year

Customer Question

I just launched a organic skin care line; and its a year into it; slow start and slowly gaining brand awareness. Id like to know how to go about seeking investors and still retaining full control over my business? Maybe offer them some marketing control over the business?
But very strict. Easy exit. How would i go about setting up an investment.. i dont have enough sales its like starting very new. My goal is have a total investment of 50k..
Advice?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Without spending a fortune on getting SEC approval to sell shares, which could eat up any money you would receive, you can seek private small investors to buy into your business for 1% or so of ownership in the business. As long as you do not sell more than 49% of the interests you would retain majority control at 51%. Also, you can have a shareholder agreement stating that as majority shareholder/owner you would retain all control over any business decisions involving the company. Other than that, you can seek to market your company and product to major companies and see if maybe one would be interested in buying you out for a large payment and selling it to them, even though you would lose control in that situation, if they offer enough it may be worthwhile if you are getting brand recognition in the marketplace.