Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

In the state of NJ, when the police officer responds to a

Customer Question

in the state of NJ, when the police officer responds to a noise complaint, is it against the law for him to write a report and not list the individual who answered the door, and spoke to the officer and Seargent present? And in doing so, the report reflects only one person was present at the time.
Also, the police officer did NOT ask the name, D.O.B., of the person other than me answering the door??
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

No, it is not "against the law". It could be against departmental policies but there are no specific laws stating how a police report must be written.

However, you are certainly allowed to request that the report be corrected and you can send the department a letter outlining the corrections you are requesting and also asking that they keep the letter with the report so that it accurately reflects everything.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.