Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My dad had a massive stoke and isnt able to talk. Im trying

Customer Question

My dad had a massive stoke and isnt able to talk. Im trying to find out who he gave the power of attorney to. Could not find anything at his home. Im sure he would have drawn it up at Hickim. Is there a way for me to find out?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 5 months ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about your father. Can you share with me who Hickim is?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Oh sorry Hickam Air Force Base on the island of Oahu. My dad is currently on the island of Hawaii. He is retired air force

Thank you. Yes, if you have reason to believe it was done there, using their services, you can contact them and advise them of the situation. You can ask them if they have any documentation of this. If they do not, then you would want and need to call any family member or friends, who he may have contacted and ask them if they are aware. If he appointed someone POA, they would need to know about it. It may be possible that he did not and if that is the case, you would need to step in and act on his behalf and handle his affairs, if he can not speak, on his behalf. People normally tell the person who is POA that they are appointing them because they have to want to do it. Someone may not and can refuse, which is why it is not a random assignment.