AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience

I am a sales trainer for a fortune 1000 company. I work for

Customer Question

I am a sales trainer for a fortune 1000 company. I work for a home builder. Can I publish a book on new home sales? I am not aware of any signed contract with my employer that expressly forbids it. I would be developing my own (better) ideas. I would hate to finish the book only to find that I could not publish it. Do you have any idea how difficult this would be or what my first move should be?
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience.

Normally, if you don't have a contract that forbids it, you should be okay to publish your book. However, where the subject matter is so connected you would really be more safe to have your employer sign a waiver. Most of the time, you can contact your employer's HR dep't and describe your project to them and confirm that they are not going to make a claim.