Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

M Massachusetts. I signed an agreement wth NRG solar in

Customer Question

I am I'm Massachusetts. I signed an agreement wth NRG solar in March of this year for future energy from a local solar farm. I have recently found out that the salesperson wasn't truthful about the billing. He assured me that I would only be receiving a bill from NRG Solar - not an additional bill from National Grid (my local utility).
I've been waiting for clarification from NRG Solar. Apparently there are only a limited number of people with the company who "understand the details". It's been over a week. I was told that it can take up to 10 business days for a response.
I want to cancel the agreement. Clearly I'm past the cancellation time allotted. How can I cancel the agreement with this very questionable company?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You need to send them a letter notifying them not only they are in breach of your contract but their conduct is a violation of MA General Laws Section 93a, unfair and deceptive practices. You need to give them 39 days to fix the situation or terminate the contract and tell them if they refuse you will sue for up to triple damages plus attorney's fees. Here is a sample 93a letter http://www.mass.gov/ocabr/consumer-rights-and-resources/resolve-a-problem/demand-letter.html
If they refuse to cancel you can contact the MA attorney general consumer unit for assistance or you can file suit against them for violation of 93a and breach of contract