Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

I became homeless in 2012, my brother stored all my stuff at

Customer Question

I became homeless in 2012, my brother stored all my stuff at his house for me, now he seems to not to want to give it back. I'v contacted him via facebook and keeps putting me off and won't respond any longer. There is thousands of dollars worth of stuff. What can I do
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about this. Did he explain why he will not allow you to retrieve your belongings?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No he didn't other than to ask why I haven't retrieved them sooner so I told him I didn't have a way out to his house and no money. I just received my disability 3 months ago and he was happy ( all of this is on my facebook chat log). Now he keeps putting me off and denys having some of my items which my ex landlord saw him take.

Thank you for the additional information. If your brother allowed you to store your personal items in his home, he could not simply 1) sell them, give them away or dispose of them and/or 2) prevent you from getting them. I say this because he agreed to allow you to store your stuff at his home and there was no timeline for which this could be for. Moreover, if he wanted these items removed, he would have need to provided you with the proper written notice to retrieve them. At this time, he can not simply keep your personal property, since he has no legal right to it. He merely allowed you to store your items there and has to allow you access. If he does not, then the next step would be to file a civil lawsuit against him, for the value of the items which he has. You shared that there is thousands of dollars worth of stuff, so if he will not cooperate and allow you in the home, you need to go after him for the value of the items which he has decided to keep , based upon his actions