Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I,m nice to meet you!! I would like to start a business in

Customer Question

hi I,m Michelle nice to meet you!! I would like to start a business in RI and need somethings answered
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Rhode Island
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: as far as I have been told as long as the consumer knows it is a replica it is legal I just wanted to make sure
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: like what I am also trying to see if I can get a grant to start a new small business
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is anyone out there
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have been told that as long as the purchaser is FULLY aware, it is legal. I had also planned on putting a 30 warranty on MOST merchandise. I also want to have private parties at customers homes mostly women where they can show family and friends what is to offer.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
unfortunately I can not wait any longer on this site any longer. So far I am very unsatisfied. If someone wishes to speak to me can be reached at 40-209-0166 anytime. Sincerely, A
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 3 months ago.

Good morning Michelle: Please accept my apologies for the delay in getting back to you. When your question came in, most of us who are in the East Time Zone were fast asleep. I would be happy to assist you with your question, but it is unclear what information you are seeking. Do you have a legal question to ask? I can offer a phone consultation if you wish but there is an additional cost for that.. Let me know.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I think a phone call would be 100 easier
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You can either call me at(###) ###-####or send me your number. Unfortunately every dime I have is going into my daughter, living expenses, & trying to get this going. I am disabled as well as a single mom. I don't have the $60 for the phone call. If I did, I'd love to discuss this all questions are legal but it pertains to Rhode Island

Sorry to hear about that, but we are not permitted to contact you directly outside of the JA system. If you can submit a few basic and specific legal questions I will try to assist you here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
they are all legal questions, that pertain to Rhode Island. 1. I have been told you can sell Replicas in RI so long as the buyer is imformed. I want to make sure

Replicas of what? This issue may involve federal patent, trademark and copyright law.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Designer but not real. Also how would go about getting my business license & what do I need permits etc.

Designer but not real.

If you copy someone else's design, you're going to run into serious and expensive legal problems. The knowledge and consent of the buyer does not permit using someone else's design. This is in the area of intellectual property law, and you should consult a Rhode Island lawyer who specializes in that area before doing anything.

As far as licenses and permits, your local Chamber of Commerce or Better Business Bureau would be a better source of information than online lawyers. You can explain to them exactly what the nature of your business is and where you plan to do it from. Please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
NOT HELPFUL told me to talk to ri. This was a complete refund & cancel the free trial. I could've done what he said to do 3 hours mostly on hold...
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR and if you would still like information I would be more than happy to assist you on this matter and will send you the phone service offer required by the site since you asked for a phone call, you can chose to come back and continue here or accept the offer and speak by phone.
Knock offs are different under copyright and trademark law than counterfeit goods though and one is legal to sell and the other is illegal. A knock off is one that looks similar to a brand item, but spells the name differently or has a different logo on it than the brand item. Counterfeit items look identical to the brand item and cannot be distinguished even upon up close examination. Selling knock offs that are disclosed as knock offs, such as perfumes that say "smells like Chanel No. 5 (for example)" is legal. Selling counterfeits, such as Coach purses that look identical and are marked "COACH" would be illegal and a violation of copyright and trademark laws, even if you disclose they are counterfeit.