Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
4460311

My son has been unconscious in intensive care for over two

Customer Question

My son has been unconscious in intensive care for over two weeks. His daughter needs to take charge of writing checks for house payments and other dayto-day expenses. Her dad's doctor has furnished her with a paper explaining her father's condition, which she thinks will carry some weight to convince others (mortgage holders, banks and other creditors) that she should be allowed to act on his behalf, at least as far as financial matters are concerned. She has been advised that she should not seek power of attorney, partly because her dad hasn't been conscious long enough to sign the necessary consent forms. She intends to speak with his bank, mortgage-servicing organization and the electric utility tomorrow to advise them of the situation, which may buy her some time, but what she really needs is to find out how to get the authority to write checks in her father's name. Can you suggest any line of action. In the event she needs to engage a lawyer to carry out your suggestions, what would be a reasonable cost for those services?
Expert:  Loren replied 5 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Is the father conscious or unconscious? Is he aware of what is happening?