AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience

I am a 28 year old single Mother from Pennsylvania. November

Customer Question

My name is Meagan ******. I am a 28 year old single Mother from Pennsylvania. November 2015 I began to study Russian language. I searched for help through a language exchange website. That is where I met Ivan ******. He lives in Kherson Ukraine. Our relationship turned romantic and we made plans for me to visit him. About a month ago I realized I have not enough money to make the trip. I attempted to end the relationship but he became very angry. He has very personal photos of me which I sent to him in confidence. He has been threatening me for weeks that if I do not do what he says he will upload this pictures onto Facebook to my family and friends. Today he told me if I am not in Ukraine by the 16th of this month he will do as he said and upload the pictures. He also told me if I contact the Government they will lock me in jail and take away my son because I violated the Patriot Act. He also said if I have his Facebook profile deleted he has fake profiles which he will use to upload the pictures. He also states that he sent a copy of the pictures to another man so that if anything happens to him the man will upload the pictures for him. I already contacted Facebook and did send the NSA a message with this story but I am so scared right now I do not know what else to do.
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience. I'm so sorry this is happening to you. It sounds like a terribly difficult situation.

First, you cannot let yourself be controlled by this person. Under no circumstances should you go to Ukraine to meet him. You could find that your life is in danger.

If he posts the photos, then you will have to deal with it when it happens. Facebook should cooperate in helping you remove them, and in deactivating his profile, or subsequent profiles that he sets up if he tries to post them. But you will have to wait and deal with it when it happens.

I'm not sure why he says you violated the Patriot Act, but he certainly is not in a position to tell you whether or not you have violated it, or whether or not you would be prosecuted.

This all really sounds like a scam to me, and meant to threaten and intimidate you. Try not to give him that control over you. If he tries to post the photos, you will deal with it. But until then, you should just sever all contact with him and live your life and be the best mom you can be.

If you have follow up questions let me know. Otherwise, kindly issue a positive rating.