Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

We have a contractor that we did a JV project with and he

Customer Question

We have a contractor that we did a JV project with and he agreed to carry 75k on the rehab now he has lei rd the property for that amount plus and the property hadn't been sold yet . If he has a written agreement to Carry money to be paid at the close of escrow can he legally place a Lein on that same property for the amount he is contracted to carry ..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, he can legally place a lien to secure the payment, even though he has agreed to carry the money to be paid to the end of escrow. The lien is just a security to insure he will be paid off as agreed.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But the house can't be sold with the mechanics Leon on it so the agreement was
To be
Paid at the close of escrow .. How can he place a Leon for money he put into the project ?
Thank you for your reply.
It is not true the house cannot be sold with the lien. What has to happen is the lien has to be agreed to be paid through the sale. So if you cannot negotiate with him to remove the lien or if he did not agree in the contract to not place a lien, he has a right to place it. So, the lien is a speed bump, but not a prohibition to the sale. So the lien is not illegal if the contract does not say he agreed not to place a lien.