DrakeLAW
DrakeLAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Drake Law Firm PLC
89364048

I am thinking of doing a voluntary repossession of my 2003

Customer Question

I am thinking of doing a voluntary repossession of my 2003 motor home that I owe $52,000.00 on. I am 71 years old and have dialysis 3 times a week in Kingman Arizona and cannot drive it anymore. My wife is 77 years old and cannot drive any vehicle due to two different types of vertigo. What are some of the results of taking this action? I am sure there would be a deficiency judgment and how would this be viewed in the courts. I also saw online that some issues with a repossession could be considered a Class 6 felony. Is that true?
Expert:  DrakeLAW replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This question and response may be viewed by other parties as noted in JA’s terms of service. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Thank you for your question. You can still ask clarifying questions if needed until you are satisfied, there is no charge for follow-up questions. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question. It is important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Finally, please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. I wish you the best in your endeavors! –Rich

I am sorry to hear about the health problems you folks are experiencing. You are correct, the issue you would be looking at is a deficiency judgment. What you ought to do is call the company and see if they will work with you on a voluntary turnover of the keys and vehicle in good condition in exchange for full settlement of the loan. (ie: no deficiency). The likely won't go for that, but you should try.

If they don't, you might still turn it over to avoid repossession, towing and storage charges being added to the deficiency.

The felony thing you are talking about is if you purposely hide a vehicle to avoid repossession. It is hardly enforced.

Do you have any more questions?