Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

I am a independent vinyl graphic installer. I don't have any

Customer Question

I am a independent vinyl graphic installer. I don't have any employees or partners. I apply large adhesive back vinyl panels on walls, windows, vehicles... etc. Sometimes I get work from a company that builds displays and exhibits. The display company will design and fabricate the booth or exhibit, then I come in and wrap the walls with vinyl provided by the display company. On a recent exhibit, I was to wrap a wall that had a number of iPad sized square holes that needed to be cut out. The idea was to place 3 large monitors behind the wall and make it look like multiple tablets, smart phones, and ipads from the front side of the wall. I installed the vinyl on the front, cut the holes, and everyone thought it looked great. A few days after the show, I get an email with pictures of the monitors. Apparently I scratched the screens when I was cutting out the holes. Now the project management company is the company that rented the monitors and hired the display company. I was hired by the display company. The total cost of damage is $23,000. Everyone is trying to hold me responsible for the bill. What should I do?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

What type of company do you have?

Do you have insurance?

Did you do what they are accusing you of?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm a sole proprietor 1099.
I do not have insurance nor was I asked to show it.
They are accusing me of damaging the monitors.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did cut the monitors while I was cutting the holes.

If you damaged the monitors then it's just a matter of either stalling them until they miss the statute of limitations or of getting the damages as low as possible.

My recommendation would be to hire a local lawyer to handle it for you. The lawyer can stall for you and then when they don't think they can stall any more they can negotiate to get the amount as low as possible.

Most of use who had represented businesses over the years have done this on more than one occasion.