Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

I got a theft 2 not ago I've never been in trouble for

Customer Question

Hi I got a theft 2 not long ago I've never been in trouble for anything before.. I was already out of the store when they stopped me almost to the car the guy told me if i went back he wasn't going to call the police but he lied too me..
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

What are your questions about this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What's going to happen to me? Was it legal that he liked me to bring you back into the store and he called the police

There is unfortunately no law that prevents him from lying about whether he's going to call the police. The law actually would have allowed him to hold you against your will until police arrived.

You'll receive a notice to appear in the mail with a hearing date. At the hearing, if you cannot afford a lawyer, the judge will appoint one for you. Usually, if you do not have a criminal record, your lawyer will be able to negotiate a deal where you repay the store owner, do some community service, and pay a fine, and the charges will be dismissed. This is called "pretrial diversion" and it's very common in first time shoplifting cases. That is usually the best case scenario, unless they don't have evidence to support the charges. You have a right to request copies of all the evidence before accepting a deal.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?