AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years law practice experience
93913325

My Mom (who is 81 years old) hired a lawyer referred to her

Customer Question

My Mom (who is 81 years old) hired a lawyer referred to her by legal aid because her husband has filed separation papers. There is a hearing on Monday at 8:45 am for "spousal support and legal fees". The original hearing was set for a month ago, but our lawyer said that she had an illness in the family and asked for a continuance. My Mom and I said that we understood, but it is now Wednesday, the hearing is Monday, and we have not heard anything from the lawyer. We have called and emailed her and heard nothing back. My Mom also paid her $1,500 up front for this, and I ended up doing all the paperwork to "save her money" so that we weren't paying the lawyer the hourly amount for doing that. What do we do? We are in a dead panic!!!!!!
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Her husband who is filing against her has been living in Arizona and his daughter is coming out here to appear for him. Apparently he will be on the phone.
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, a family law attorney with 15 years experience.

Many attorneys wait until the day before to get ready, so that the case is fresh in their mind on the day of the hearing. Some attorneys don't get ready until just before the hearing. I myself do not wait like that, but alot of attorneys do. You've hired this attorney to represent your mom, and have to trust that he will get ready when he needs to. Leave messages at his office, and I'm sure he'll get back to you this week. Hopefully, he doesn't wait until just before the hearing, but I've seen that happen before. It's not fun for you, but if he was going to start getting ready now, he'd have to charge you more money, because then, he'd have to get ready again later when, closer to the hearing, he has to get the case fresh in his head.

Please give a positive rating if I have answered your question. IF you have followup questions, feel free to ask. Thanks!