Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I am wondering about legality of a credit card company to

Customer Question

I am wondering about legality of a credit card company to change their policy regarding their award programs. Can they do it retroactive to "points" earned prior to the change?
How much notification do they need to give? How precise does the notification need to be?
What responsibility do they have to make sure we know about the change? Do they have any responsibility to honor the policy regarding reward points earned before the change?
I suspect I have no legal right but because of a change that was made I may have lost as much as $750 because of a change I was not aware of. I had been using this particular card almost exclusively for a number of years because of the award program.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, generally, most credit cards expressly state that any of the reward programs that they offer are subject to change without notice and such disclosure is made upfront, so unfortunately, generally credit card companies can legally change reward program terms or rules or even cancel the program at any time, which might result in card holder losing partial or entire reward benefits earned and unfortunately, it can be done retroactively.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 months ago.