RobertJDFL, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I had a supervisor run up in my face yelling at me asking me

Customer Question

I had a supervisor run up in my face yelling at me asking me what kind of man i was in a aggressive and threating way and scared me and continue to taunt me through out the day yelling at me saying that is a real man right there and then went and told my supervisor that I threatened him and got me fired even though I had a witness that heard and saw everything do I have any rights since this is a at will company?
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to helping you.

I'm sorry to hear about your job loss. As it sounds like you may know, an at will employee may be terminated at any time, with or without cause. The law only says an employee cannot be terminated for an unlawful reason, such as due to your race, religion, age (over 40), sex, disability or national origin. You also cannot be terminated for public policy reasons (e.g., you can't be fired for having to take time off for jury duty). So you really don't have based on these facts, recourse for wrongful termination. Rude behavior and offhand comments are not legally protected acts.

You may have grounds for a lawsuit for defamation of character against the supervisor who claimed you had threatened him, resulting in your being fired. Defamation occurs where a person intentionally or negligently makes a false statement or statements about a plaintiff to a third party, resulting in damages. Here the damages would of course be the loss of your job and salary.

If you need clarification about my answer or additional information, please use the SEND or REPLY button to continue our conversation. Your satisfaction is my goal and I am here to help!

Please remember to kindly leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars, as that is the only way experts are paid for their time even though you may have already paid a deposit to the site. Follow-up questions asked in this thread do not cost anything additional after leaving a positive rating. Thank you!