Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer & Real Estate Broker, 30+ years, foreclosure, land contracts, inheritance, probate.
18215332

We have been renting commercial space at the strip mall in

Customer Question

We have been renting commercial space at the strip mall in New Jersey for 5 years and 11 months. During this period, we've made multiple complaints to our landlords and and the utility company (PSE&G) about the exorbitant high bills. Those bills average $700 per month. No corrective action has been taken to date. On July 7, 2016, we turned our breaker off during which we discovered that another business at the strip mall lost power simultaneously. Their power was not restored until we turned our breaker back on- proving to us that we've been billed for both businesses. We are seeking redress, including refund for 5 years and 11 months of overcharging $24,850 which is 50 percent of the bills for the period in question. What are our legal options re landlord and or utility company (PSE&G)? How should we proceed?
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 4 months ago.

Your legal options to pursue collection of the money that is owed to you by our company. Obviously the company and perhaps the contractor and owner may be liable to you depending on who caused the mistake to occur. You might also have an option to sue the other business for unjust enrichment in that you have been paying for their electric service for five years. There's no question that aggressive legal action on your part is warranted here.Please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.

Hello again. Do you have a follow-up question? I am not an employee of Just Answer and I receive credit for assisting you based on your rating. Please be so kind as to promptly rate this answer favorably so that I may be compensated and the question may be closed in the system. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER.