Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am trying to file Petition for Nondisclosure for Fort Bend

Customer Question

I am trying to file Petition for Nondisclosure for Fort Bend County, Texas. The precise court is Fort Bend County at Law 2 located in Richmond,Texas.
My questions are as follows:
1) Do I need legal representation to do this, or can I do this by myself?
2) If I do need legal rep, how much would it usually be to get something like this done.
3) How hard is the process to get this completed and how long will it take?
Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You are not mandated to have an attorney. However, an attorney is highly recommended, because the procedural steps are complicated. Thus someone filing pro se (without an attorney) are often just as likely to hurt themselves as to help themselves.

We are talking about a criminal non-disclosure, correct? Anywhere from $1,500 to $5,000, depending on the situation.

The process itself is not that long. One has to draft the petition, file it with the Court, serve the District Attorney's office as well as the P.O. (if there was one), and then set this for a hearing with the Court. Then one has to show up to request the relief in person from the Court at the oral hearing. The crux lies in proper drafting, filing, and other procedural steps which are difficult and nuanced.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 7 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!