Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

Horrible remodeling contractor. To close out contract and

Customer Question

Horrible remodeling contractor. To close out contract and remove them from job they not only want $$'s but are demanding we sign confidentiality agreement in order to obtain Unconditional Final release. Or they will put lien on property. I thought lien was only if not paid. Please advise.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Yes, you are correct. However, your statement indicates that the contractor would put a lien on the property if you do no agree on the amount to close out the contract. So, in essence, if you do not agree, you would be owing the contractor. So, the contractor can put a lien on your property. However, you may be able to get that lien released by filing a Motion with the Court and asking for the release. You have to tell the Court about the substandard work of the contractor and why you needed to buy him out, but he would not agree to a reasonable offer.

If you do not have any follow-up question(s), kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.