Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Can someone tell me what official police documents look

Customer Question

Can someone tell me what official police documents look like?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Every police department uses their own type of police reports and documents. So truly nobody can tell you what official police documents look like, you have to contact the specific police department and ask them.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would they give out such information?

Police reports are public records, unless it is an open investigation. So, you can make a written public record request for a copy of any closed police investigation report.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok. If it is an open investigation, is there a way to know if there are search warrants or stuff concerning me?
Thank you for your reply.
If it is an open case they will not give you any information at all about the case and the only way to find out anything is hire an attorney there to represent you to try to find out what is going on.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But doesn't a judge have to sign off on all warrants? Could I just not contact the court to see if there is a file?
a judge does sign off on warrants and they do not become public record until the case is closed.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will a lawyer be able to access that even if the case is not closed? What will the court tell him?
Thank you for your reply.
Criminal defense attorneys can get limited information through the District Attorney about their client on an open case and also criminal defense attorneys have connections with local police who sometimes can provide them with some "unofficial" information about cases.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What kind of limited information? If it is an ongoing investigation, can the DA lie and say that there is nothing?What are the different kinds of warrants? If the police request something from a college, what kind of warrant would that take?
Thank you for your reply.
What the DA releases is up to the DA, there is no guideline or rule on what they can release. Yes, the DA can say nothing is going on, but generally to criminal defense attorneys they will not lie because they have to deal with those attorneys on other cases, so they may only say there is a case but I cannot tell you anything.
If police want something from a college they would serve a subpoena not a warrant.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What is a subpoena? Are subpoenas public record in an ongoing investigation? Do they need to signed by a judge?What does a subpoena look like?
Thank you for your reply.
A subpoena is a court document to a third party ordering them to produce information requested. It is signed by a judge. Here is a sample picture: https://hogewash.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/subpoena.jpeg
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will it be available as public record in an ongoing investigation?
Thank you for your reply.
No, nothing from an open investigation is available in public records.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can a subpoena be issued if no charges have been pressed?
a subpoena and a search warrant can both be issued if no charges are yet brought and they are investigative tools.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is it always a clerk that signs a subpoena? If it is a federal case, where will the subpoena be issued from?
The clerk or the judge can sign the subpoena in both state and federal courts.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Interesting. ... How to find out who the clerk is for a specific court?What would a federal subpoena in maryland without any charges look like?
Thank you for your reply.
You would have to call the clerk at the court you are seeking information on. They will give you information.
A federal case subpoena would look like this: http://formupack.com/pdf-forms/Federal/Courts/FederalCourts_AO089_20090820_Page_1.png
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I was asking in reference to a subpoena to force the college to give information ...Do clerks sign subpoenas at the federal level as well?
the clerk signs those subpoenas as well, as I said above. The clerk or judge can sign them. The subpoena blank is what the subpoena looks like that is what I provided you for both state and federal courts.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Uhm, the subpoena you sent was for someone to appear in court? Wouldn't a subpoena for information be different?
Thank you for your reply.
The subpoena form looks identical and it states to appear in court with the documents or produce the documents to the agents. It is the same form they just change the words a little bit.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will the application be different from the actual subpoena?Would the school send the documents to the requesting person or wil they send it to the court? Do they have to send actual documents or can they just send a summary of the information?
Thank you for your reply.
There is no application for the subpoena like there is for a warrant.
The school would give them to the agent or officer who requested them. They would send them the actual documents requested in the subpoena no "summary" of them. They have to provide exactly what was requested.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What if they ask for specific info like student number and enrolment and stuff? Would they send it by mail or will they need to hand it over in person?
Thank you for your reply.
They would have to provide everything asked for, including SSN or student number, personal information, home address or anything else they request.
Typically the agents or officers will pick up the information in person, but they could ask the school to mail it to the officers as well, that is up to the individual officer handling the case.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What do you mean by officer?
Officer, as in police officer, law enforcement officer or FBI agent, it is just a shortened version all meaning the same thing.