Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.

My divorce decree states, "..that each party shall be the

Customer Question

My divorce decree states, "..that each party shall be the sole owner of his/her respective vehicle;". However, the decree does not give the physical description of said vehicles. I recently purchased a new vehicle and when I tried to get tags for it I found out that there was an MVA flag due to my ex allowing the insurance to lapse on the vehicle she owns which is titled in both of our names. The vehicle also has an outstanding loan amount that is also in both of our names. My temporary tags have run out and I'm in a situation where I will need to pay the fees she incurred. Will I be able to sue her to reimburse me?
Should I hire an attorney to represent me in court to have her forced to pay her car note on time and keep the vehicle insured?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. Just to be clear,even though the decree did not describe the cars, she took one and you took the other and there was no issue with this?