Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Credit card company won a judgement against me in 2011. We

Customer Question

Credit card company won a judgement against me in 2011. We have been making monthly payments to the law firm representing the credit card company for the past few years. These were automatic withdrawals we set up with the law firm to take out the monthly payment from our checking account.
Our bank account was levied last week by the creditor. Come to find out the law firm representing the creditor chanced the collection agency that they were working with to collect on this debt/judgement back in January. We were never notified of this change. I wasn't paying close attention to this each month as it was an automatic withdrawal each month that had been going on since 2011.
I spoke with the law firm that levied and they also went back to court late June and was awarded a post judgement interest on the account which tacked on another few thousand dollars to what I owe.
My question is that I never stopped paying on this judgment. They stopped the automatic monthly withdrawals without any notice to me. Do I have any recourse on this matter?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, if you still owe the money, even if they stopped making the auto withdrawals, it is still legal for them to seek levy of the accounts. In fact, many of these collection agencies will pursue levy even when people are paying on the judgment to try to get the judgment paid off faster, because they want their money quicker. So, it is legal, but you have recourse of filing an exemption to levy in the court and present proof that it will cause significant financial hardship or you have to qualify under one of the exemptions listed on the exemption for that you should get from your bank that the creditor filed to levy the account.