Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My fiance is a school teacher in owantonna and lives in

Customer Question

hello my name is ***** ***** fiance is a school teacher in owantonna and lives in apple valley. she was offered a job in bursnville but owatonna will not break contract. is there a possibility contract can be broken... she spends almost an hour each to teach in owatonna.
any great news would be awesome!
Thank you,
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, this is a frequent question we get this time of year and the answer is not a pleasant one to deliver. Under the law, if the school board does not agree to let her out of the contract, if she does not honor the contract they can file a complaint with the department of education and this is deemed unprofessional conduct for which a teaching license can be revoked. So, unless there is proof Owatonna violated the contract and is not honoring the contract, which is their breach of contract, she is going to be forced to continue the contract until they agree to release her or until it ends.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do and i don"t understand contract school cannot hold teacher hostage! School/district should be happy one of their staff is moving on not only she does not drives an hour each way to job! Any other words that may help?
Thank you for your reply
It is not that they are holding them hostage, it is they are holding them to a contract they agreed upon. Under the law, the reason written contracts are used is to bind people to their agreements and it applies the same if the school were trying to get rid of her contrary to the contract as much as her trying to get out of the contract. The law simply states when parties sign a contract they are bound to those terms and not to bind them to those agreements would render a written contract useless.