LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

My corvette wheels and tired was stolen while In the care of

Customer Question

My corvette wheels and tired was stolen while In the care of a shop it was dropped on the ground while improperly stored overnight outside his area. Car was not tagged therefore no insurance as it needed work. Now it still four months later car sits outside what do I do
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. Why has the shop failed to be responsible? Did you ask for or did they file with their insurance company?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
he filed a report with the police department and the person or persons were captured. We do not know if he filed a claim or not. Our wheels were stolen and the car dropped on the ground. There is now body damage and he put old wheels he had laying around on the car and the tires are flat. Not my wheels or tires that were on it! Also the damage on the car has not been taken care of! He keeps lying saying it has! Also he has left it outside with the t tops that leak which is the reason we brought it there to begin with. That and some other minor mechanical repairs! As of today car sitting in rain with the interior molding! Its been four months at least!

Thank you for the reply and the additional information. Bailment is the process of placing personal property or goods in the temporary custody or control of another. The custodian or holder of the property, who's responsible for the safe keeping and return of the property, is know as the bailee. The person who delivers or transfers the property to the bailee is known as the bailor. In all bailment situations, the bailee has a minimum duty of care to ensure the safety of the property. If the bailee breaches or fails to uphold that duty, he can be legally liable for damages. A bailor is entitled to recover damages for lost or damaged property if he can show that the bailee failed to exercise the required degree of care and proximately caused damage or loss of the property. As such, in this situation, your car should have been secured in a safe environment. If it was not, they can be liable and they have insurance which should cover the claim. If they refuse, then you do have to sue them

I just wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I can answer or clarify. I am here to help so please let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just found out that his LLC is inactive. So I can't imagine he has insurance! Can he be in legal trouble for operating without an LLC

Great to hear back from you. I just kindly ask that when we are done, you remember to rate my help at the top. Yes, it is possible that he is illegally and improperly operating his business. For a situation like this, you likely want to contact and the Attorney General and file a report and have them look into this man. If he is still conducting business and his LLC is inactive and he is not licensed or registered to conduct business,. he could face civil fines/penalties and possible criminal charges.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!