LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

If I had an emotional affair online with someone for 5 years

Customer Question

If I had an emotional affair online with someone for 5 years (never met in person) and they are now upset with me because I won't leave my husband, and they created a Facebook page to tell everyone I'm a "cheater" is that something I can take legal action against?The person is also threatening to post private emails to the page and contact my friends and family and give them the link.
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Have you contacted FB about this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
but no reaponse

Thank you. If the site takes no action to remove the account, then you may want to consider sending them a cease and desist letter, advising that they should cease contact with you and not proceed to take any action in an attempt to harm or defame you and your reputation. If they refuse and this continues, then you would likely have to sue them for damages suffered and could consider contacting the police and escalating this because of the harassment.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do I write a cease and desist letter or is it supposed to be a lawyer who does it?

You can do it and place them on notice and also advise of your intended course of action, if he does not cease. It does not have to be from an attorney but if this continues, it would be at that time that you want to seek legal counsel. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok thanks

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just looked at my bank info and I got charged 3 times? What's that about?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One for 5, one for 34 and one for 39

You can contact customer service and they can explain it. That is something I do not have access or knowledge about, as I am here to help and answer your question. Thank you for understanding and I am sure they will correct this and answer and questions which you may have

Were you able to contract them.