Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

A friend on mine attempted sucide in VA. She was taken to

Customer Question

A friend on mine attempted sucide in VA. She was taken to the hospital and is now being held at pshcatric faculty for a week. He possess no harm to others and has now been there for over two days. The attending pshcatric wants him to be there for a week. My Friedan is willing to get treatment but not staying in the hospital.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
It is not just being a danger to others, but a danger to one's self as well that is grounds to keep them in the hospital. The only way to get her out of the hospital is if the doctors agree she is no longer a threat to herself or others. If not, you could get her an attorney who would have to file suit for her release and then she would need her own doctors to present evidence to the court showing that she is not a danger to herself or others.
When someone attempts suicide, the courts are very hesitant to release them until the doctors can certify they are at least not going to try to harm themselves again during outpatient treatment.