Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

I live in North dakota and I own a landscaping business. I

Customer Question

I live in North dakota and I own a landscaping business. I am having a very hard time having my workers keep the job site clean and the tools put away clean and neatly. It costs me a bit for broken or repairing tools/equipment. There's no way to take money out of checks for compensation because I have no way of telling who did what. My question is what can I legally do to improve their cleaning and tiddiness methods. I have tried to motivate by bonuses but to no avail. I know I can't withhold there checks. What can I do?
Thank you for your time
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 2 months ago.

If there is no way to tell who did what, then your options are going to be limited. Further, they are going to argue wear and tear as a defense. So, you had the right idea with the bonuses. You may just need to set it up differently. For example, if your average monthly expenses for broken tools is $500.00, you can tell them that if they can help you bring the average down to $250, then you will split the saving with them at $125 each. But, say that this $125 will go into a saving account and at the end of the year there will be a drawing and one person will win the whole pot. Something so that it make a difference in at least one person's life; but no one knows who may win till the end so all have incentive to participate.