Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

Is it legal for my grandmother to hold $6000 of my ssi even

Customer Question

Is it legal for my grandmother to hold $6000 of my ssi even tho I don't not live with her
Expert:  Maverick replied 8 months ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 8 months ago.

Why does she have it in the first place?

Expert:  Maverick replied 8 months ago.

If your grandmother is the representative payee, then she must use the SSI benefits to take care of your day-to-day needs for food and shelter. Then, she must use the money for your medical and dental care that’s not covered by health insurance. She can also pay for the your personal needs, such as clothing and recreation. She has a duty to save any money left after she pays for your needs, preferably in an interest-bearing account or U.S. Savings Bonds. So the answer could be "Yes."

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't not live with her I moved out 6 months ago and they sent it bc she put it on a different bank account so she got the $10000 back pay and only gave me $1000
Expert:  Maverick replied 8 months ago.

Only the Social Security Administration has the discretion and authority to designate, change, and enforce the duties of a representative payee. At the bottom of this link you can file a complaint and let the OIG open an investigation as to why she is keeping this money from you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I talked to ssi and they said they would make her pay it back but she has $6000 of it and said she isn't gonna give it to me
Expert:  Maverick replied 8 months ago.

You can sue her for civil conversion in small claims court which is claim for when someone wrongfully exercises dominion and control over your property.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Maverick replied 8 months ago.

Did you still want to do a live phone call?