Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I live in the state of rhode island my home is under water

Customer Question

I live in the state of rhode island my home is under water and has now gone into forclosure and sold at forlosure auction purchased by the bank.
then re sold and re sold and re sold to some other real estate properties company.
after 50 days of not hearing anything from anyone I get a first notice attached to my
house. stating I have 48 hrs to call them
I called them asap, but this was not put on my door until Friday afternoon
and when I called all I received was an answer machine sneaky !!!!
I need 4 - 6 weeks to move out but no one is talking to me sneaky ???
are they trying to pull a fast one. I think so but all they have to do is wait and I will leave
now I do not trust them.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, the RI court is not going to give you 4-6 weeks to move. Legally, they can give you a 3 day notice to leave for non-payment and then can sue you in court for eviction and within 15 days you can be ordered to leave. I am afraid I had one similar the other day and the former homeowner argued as you did that the bank bought it and it has been going on in their case for about 90 days and the court told the former homeowner that they knew back when the foreclosure took place 90 days previously that they no longer owned the home and needed to move out and the court told them they had 5 days to leave or be forcibly removed.
So if the new owner is looking to work with you, and of course you needed to leave a message on their answering machine, to give you a chance to move out you need to keep trying to call them to work it out with them to get the time you need. You really do not have much of a choice but to call them to work something out because legally the laws are on their side in these types of cases.