Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients.
17897874

Filed a theft claim December 7 2015 with insurance company

Customer Question

Filed a theft claim December 7 2015 with insurance company complied with investigator and police there are 2 coverages scheduled and unscheduled .police found evidence of fraud and insurance company set deposition with their attorney,that was 3 months ago still no claim has been paid out it has been 8 months and nothing .I believe they are acting in bad faith and not wanting to pay the claim .unreasonable delays
Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

The insurance company is legally entitled to investigate the claim, but they must do so with all due diligence and in a reasonable time period. An unreasonable delay is evidence of bad faith for which you could sue. If you prevail you could be awarded punitive damages and attorney fees. So, the inurance company is looking at substantial liability if they are acting in bad faith.

There are attorneys who specialize in bad faith claims and it may be time to get one of them involved in this. It should not be dragging out this long to pay or deny the claim.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys) . Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are all peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

You should also make a complaint to the state insurance board. The will investigate and take the appropriate administrative action.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.